Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

Shopping in hell, Err ,Walmart

I admit to a Walmart snobbery. And it is not like I never shop there, but when I do I tend to feel really crappy about it. But at Christmas time c and I were given $500.00 worth of Walmart gift cards. I guess the thought is you can buy anything there. So we finally we went to the pits to spend, because, lets face it, $500.00 is a lot of money.
I had specifics. C is on a health food kick and it has nothing to do with the 15 pounds he packed on over his Christmas vacation; except it has everything to do with it. So I grabbed some wok type frying pans, and an electric wok, and a ricer. I also grabbed a deep fryer and completely fucked the health kick by making my famous deep fried pepperettes, if you have never tried them DO! They are fucking awesome with mustard, or better yet Dijon mustard, because I am all super-fucking-sophisticated;).
After we finished at hades we went to a few markets. I love markets, but they are funny around here because each market has a very defined purpose. Downtown is a farmers market, so foods, and some knit clothing, and homemade baked goods by one of my Nonna's old neighbor. I really love to see her but it is tres awkward as she seems to want to fatten me up in the 15 minutes I stand there, and won't take my money or no for an answer. She shovels cookies and cakes and tarts at me. I got around a strawberry and rhubarb pie (yuck), by pleading C's "diet".... Ummm , yeah, he is not, I repeat NOT on a diet, just a resolution to eat healthier.... Uh huh.
Another market is.... Well, lets just say frm the parking lot you can get singed, because 90% of the shit is hot. Like panel Tvs with no bases, because they were stolen off the walls. Knock off fashions, yeah, real D&G sunglasses for $5.00, I might have been born at night, but it wasn't last night. Oh,and of course the table of pirated movies, for those too lazy to pirate them yourselves.
A couple blocks over is the flea flea market. One that is likely to give you fleas. Old, gross, disgusting kids toys from 20 years ago, not washed, and clothes that make you think "damn, a mullet would make that outfit look better".
Finally we have, okay, technically no longer in my city, but this old barn antiques market. It is about 5 buildings (mostly old barns), and lots of outdoor tables. Mostly junk, but some actual antiques, by far my fave this side of Brantford. I picked up a cedar chest there a few weeks ago. It looks like shit, but for a few fairy tale moments I thought : I'm good with tools, I can strip it down and stain and varnish the wood. Yeah, not so much. C has threatened to throw it out if I don't do something with it, and it actually smells a bit. Smells like a bad decision to buy that is:P
For home and found out that my television actor crush (damn the things I would like to do to that man) was over at one of our malls. *Le sigh*. I missed him:'(

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you did a massive amount of shopping... hopefully you got everything you needed:)

    I feel that way about Walmart too... there are some good buys there though:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we dont have wallmart in my country but we sure do have the counterpart. It's not as crappy as that though. we are still blessed hehe:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...because I am all super-fucking-sophisticated" Probably one of your better lines, lol.

    Who's that actor crush? I'm curious now.

    ReplyDelete