Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Good weekend

So Friday C gets ready to go jam with a friend of his.  Now he has not been playing at all lately.  So the prep to this took changing strings, not just on one guitar, like the one he was going to use on Saturday.  No, that would just make fucking sense.  Instead he changes strings on all four of them.  Yeah, four fucking guitars.  Do you know what it is like to hear someone tuning four guitars (including a 12 string)?  It is like being locked in a discordant version of auditory hell.  Then it gets to start all over again once the strings have stretched.  Then one last time before putting each of them away.  Now don't get me wrong.  I love music.  But by the time C actually played his lucky date for Saturday, I was so thoroughly through with the sound of guitar.  Why would one need four guitars you might ask, or maybe it is just me.  I really don't get it.  Nor do I get why the name of a guitar manufacturer makes a difference, or where it is made.  It's wood and strings, right?  No, no it's not.  It is apparently like a dick war.  Guitarists all whipping them out and bragging goes to who has the best.
   Anyway, yeah, I don't get it, but Chris was in an amazing mood, so who am I to shit on it?  He was going to spend a Saturday tattooing and playing guitar, which is pretty much like his perfect day.  And he has not done it for months, so I sure as hell don't begrudge him time with his friend.  And he drew out this amazing tattoo his friend asked him for.  it's like this huge dragon that is going to start on his chest, down his back and side and  ass.  Going to take C months to do it.
   As for me.... one of my friend's husband turned forty, Jake's sister, and Jake was down for the party from school, so I went there.  Amazing weather for February it actually ended up as a barbeque.  Coolers full of beer, hot tub.  It was pretty fun.  I know it seems weird that we would have this great time at someone's 40th Birthday.  But Steve is about the coolest forty year old on the planet.  He married Kay five years ago, when she was 18.  I know, you think....little creepy.  I think most people did given that Steve is older than her mother.  But she met him through... well really complicated back story, but her daughter's grandfather is in the same band with Steve.  Whenever anyone says anything about their age gap Kay's standard reply is "Yeah, but it's okay because he is really immature."  Which is actually bang spot on.  I don't mean immature as in childish, but he is very young in how he thinks, how he acts, his humor.  Within 15 minutes of talking to this guy you do not think "shit, he is my parent's age".
   Seeing Jake was cool too.  It's weird not to have him around whenever we want to hang out, or whenever I get bored.  Have you ever said something and forgotten all about it?  So Jake says :"You owe me fifty bucks."
   "Why?"
   "Do you remember when Tony moved in with Dennis you said and I quote:  "I'd never move in with somebody I knew for less than a year."  And I bet you fifty bucks that you would be playing house with someone long before that."  It's hardly long before a year.  So I am not paying him shit.
   All in all a pretty awesome Saturday.  Sunday C and I biked on the Bruce Trail.  I forget how much I like biking until I'm actually doing it.  Yesterday my legs were fucking KILLING me.  Yeah, I think I need to bike more often.

4 comments:

  1. i'd love to have a bike again. they can really be such good exercise. i need one that i can sit up high, and those ones are no good for vancouver ... too hilly.

    as for the age thing ... it's only a number ... we area as old aw we choose to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your weekend sounds great, Jamie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make it sound like 40 is old.

    I may as well give up then,

    ReplyDelete