Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Wow, what a horrifying sight

So around 4 AM a woman brings in my pal, the snake I helped force feed.  Well, he is still not eating.  So she asked to local experts what to do.  They suggested switching him to live prey, and leaving him in a dark container, covering it up.  The fucking mouse ATE the snake.  Huge chunks of his skin was missing.  There was no way on earth it was going to live.  But she wanted the attempt made.  So basically snakes are pretty good healers.  You just clean it, use antibiotic cream.  But the poor thing was in utter agony.  He died while we were cleaning him.  I don't think his heart could take the pain.  Now I know there is always a risk of injuries to snakes with live prey, but I have never heard of one eating the snake.  Such an awful sight, there were huge patches of skin missing.  The poor lady who brought him in was utterly shattered by what happened, in trying to help him she ended up buying its killer.  Funny thing is though, she was so pissed off at this baby mouse.  I get that the snake is the pet, but you are turning to mother nature to help the snake realize it's instincts.  And....well... mother nature can be a bitch, and things don't always go to plan.  The mouse decided "It's him or me, and it ain't gonna be me".

   Anyway, it made for a pretty shitty night at work.

I am going to try to wind down then off to bed for this boy.

15 comments:

  1. ok I'm curious now, what type of snake and type of mouse were they? So rare have I heard the prey eating the predator... wow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe it or not a ball python (albeit a baby) and a popper (baby feeder mouse). Probably when the snake went to constrict it got bit, because the head is still free and then probably it was scared (because it is still a baby it frightens easily) But I have never heard of a mouse going from that to eating the snake alive. Ugh, the thought of an animal in that much pain quite sickens me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is horrible, must of been quite traumatic for you as well as the owner, but there is a bit of me that's kinda cheering for the mouse.

    Sometimes the underdog wins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hugs Jamie, that was so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gotta admit some admiration for the mouse. That is one tough fucking mouse.
    I can see it in the field, telling their tough guy stories. "This one day I was put in a container with a snake, and I fucking ate HIM." Of course none of the other mice would believe him, them being raised in the wild where they best you could hope for is to scurry away. Mockingly called "the snake eater" from then on he would live his life as an object of mousey scorn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A mouse versus a snake, and the mouse won?
    Damn skippy! That's just so sad for the snake kingdom. I fear snakes. But I would squish a pesky rat if I ever saw one. And now your post is making me reconsider my fears.
    I am sad for the owner though, a pet is always a loved one. Maybe she should also look at pets that are easier for her to manage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg! i never knew that could happen! holy shit!!

    i have new found respect for mice :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry but in a moment of catharsis, I laughed when reading the mouse ate the snake. Despite emotions, survival of the fittest stays in cue even if there are traditional positions in nature

    ReplyDelete
  9. How horrible for the snake. I guess it shows you can never tell who will come out on top. Mother nature and the prey/predator cycles always have surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woaah thats so weird!! Poor snake :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a sight I'd be alright missing. When i first read this post I thought you were joking. Even now it's hard to visualise how the mouse actually won when you see all these documentries on snakes eating animals way bigger and more dangerous than a mouse!

    The mouse is a little legend

    ReplyDelete
  12. Somewhere Samuel Jackson stands in front of a mirror practicing for his next movie. I can see it now, "muther fuckin' mice on a plane!!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry for the lady's loss, but nice to see the nature turn the tables.

    ReplyDelete
  14. BBG, I fucking snorted coffee out my nose!

    ReplyDelete
  15. "snake eater"

    I LOLLLLLLLED

    then I saw BBGs comment and I LOLLLLLED some more.

    ReplyDelete