Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Queer, faggot, dyke, homo,

People get so hung up on the words rather than the feeling behind them. I am pretty meh with regards to words, more the feeling behind them. My best friend will refer to me on my facebook as a "raging homo", yet would be the first person at my back if anyone used a slur directed at anyone. I think people get too caught up in the words rather than their actions behind them.
I have found the whispered "homosexual" much more offensive than someone outright calling me a fag. Whispered,even though they are using the P.C. word, implies that there is something wrong with being gay. Like people are afraid to acknowledge it, because it is soooo wrong.
I remember my mom one time talking about how at the playground the one day a woman asked which child hers was. "The one on the slide." "Oh.... you mean the one who is.... um... darker complected..."
"Black," my mom said. "It's okay, he knows he's black." I remember how pissed she was, not because the woman realized my skin colour, but because she was embarrassed to say the word.
Anyway, theseblogs are dangerous spots for me to be, because I am going to become addicted, lol. ANyway, cameacross a big rant today about how gay people should not use these words because it is demeaning ourselves and each other.
I believe to ban something gives it power. To say "this is a terrible word" gives it far more power. Look at the imfamous "N" word. Ridiculous how much hate and fear and pain is poured into one word. Why? Because we gave it that power. We decided it was a bad and terrible and horrible word. We banned books, because even HISTORY had no use for the word. So now we want a whole other group of words with that much power? Really? Any thoughts?

5 comments:

  1. That is true actually, if we wouldn't have given those words such power they would've just been some normal words that people would throw around and our world wouldn't have been a parody of human beings! And I strongly believe that being gay is not wrong! It's how YOU feel about certain things and Jamie, when you've decided that.. I think you should be strong enough to let them be critical towards you for sometime and how long can they say those things? and who knows? they might be feeling the same way as you are but might not be expressing! Be proud of what you are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. The "n" word; it's really the debatable word, yes? See, I'm like this. You can call me anything--as long as it isn't the "c" word, which, unless your joking, could send any woman into a rage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, no worries, I spell it with a 'K'. Kidding. I have enough fear,,,, uh, I mean respect of my mom to never use that word. I think my dad would rattle me off the back of the head too. He is large into repecting people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good point with the fact we give those words power.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry that I'm a little late on this post but I absolutely agree with you. Just had to let you know. :-D

    -K

    ReplyDelete